5.23.2007
naomi = hanso

5 minutes after the season finale, and I'm already blogging. I've become one of the "others." Over-zealous,over-opinionated, and over-blogging. Nonetheless. Here's my take:

Initial kudos to the writers for the exceptional back story. I first anticipated the rouse when I noticed he was using a modern cell phone. I brushed it off as a production oops, but I should have known better. Deep down I want this to mean that the writers will break their season 1-3 flashback writing formulas as they approach the 4th. Unfortunately, I had similar wishes at the end of season 2.


If you recall, the end and cliffhanger was a scene that took place outside the island at that arctic base. I hoped it would mean season 3 would actually explore the A-story narrative outside of the island. Or at least give us a few peeks here and there. Unfortunately, however, they not once went outside the island with the A-story, not even in the finale (it was a flash-forward and still very much a B-story).

Where am I going with all this? I highly doubt they'll do more flash-forward narratives, if they couldn't even grow a pair to explore the A-story outside of the island. But, we'll see.

Must keep expectations low...must keep expectations low...mustn't be disappointed again...

Ahh...okay. Back to Naomi.

Admittedly, I was duped into believing she was working for Penny when she first appeared. In fact, I was so sure, I wrote a fan-fic describing the scene. When she explained that flight 815 had been found along with bodies in a later episode, however, I realized she was probably full of ... I then surmised she was working with Mikhail, since he came to the call of the flair so quickly and understood her many languages, particularly when she said "I am not alone" in Portuguese. It was then I made the Hanso connection in particular relationship to some key facts presented in the Online Experience. I think, now, after the finale, those connections ring true, but not quite in the way I imagined.

Here's my take: Naomi works for Hanso. She was very much aboard the large freighter commissioned by the organization to find, again, the island. This was made factual by the online experience. Here's the lowdown on that in a nutshell.

FACTS:
Alvar Hanso and the Degroots (the hippie couple) start the Dharma Initiative in an attempt to use the island and research to change core values in the Valenzetti equation, thus preventing the end of the world. Outside of the island, something very bad happens to the organization. The administration is taken over by a few elite and very shady characters. Alvar Hanso is placed under house arrest, and it's left to Alvar's daughter to investigate his disappearance and find the truth. What she finds is that the new leader of the foundation is on a rather passionate quest to locate the island that, in his own words, they have lost communication with. A large freighter is put together and fitted with some very special customizations that can't be explained. From the blue prints they look like very peculiar storage areas. It's left to the ship to find the island in hopes of reigniting the Dharma Initiative once again, but this time without the direction and perhaps accountability of its founders.

THEORY:
The ship is actually fitted not only with special cargo holds, but also an ice breaking hull. Naomi flew off the ship into the direction they hypothesized the island might be. Essentially she was telling the truth when she said she was doing a grid search. I wager, however, that it was perhaps over ice and not ocean. If you remember the look on Penny's face when Charlie tells her they're on an island. Her surprise suggests that that idea seems a shock, even though she already knows the relative location of the island based on the information presented at the very end of season 2. And yes, I still can't get Walt/Hugo's comic book out of my mind. I'm holding on to the arctic theory till it blows up in my face.

Regardless, however, the "bad guys" are indeed coming. Ben's right. It was this that threw me off. My best guess is that as Dharma was being poisoned by bad leadership, some information about the foul intent came through the pipeline forcing the "hostiles" to take drastic actions to cut off the initiative from the outside world and place the island again into obscurity. Ben is believed to be a messiah-type figure to the "hostiles" because he can communicate with Jacob (no theories on this yet), but in reality, Ben is more a survivor, a selfish one at that (thus the reason why he shot Locke). For whatever reason, however, the foul intent of this rogue group that's taken over Hanso is so intense that it transcends Ben's selfish endeavors.

This group probably endeavors to "fix a mistake" and create a cover-up. That's why Ben fears they'll kill everyone on the island. I also think the strange cargo holders might exist to transport some very unique equipment off the island. This is where I think time travel might enter the equation. A friend shared an interesting blog link to a time-travel theory associated with the show. Check out my blog entry about the subject. I thought it interesting, but not worth taking to seriously, since it was kind of shaky in its evidence. Watching the Lost: Answers clip show last week, however, seriously changed my mind. The producers are dispelling the notions that they would follow a purgatory, heaven, or hell storyline. Damon Lindelof says something of particular interest. "Everyone on the island is very much alive and exists somewhere in our space time continuum." (paraphrased) Why would he bring up the space time continuum? Anyway, I won't dive into the theory. Check out my other entry to get the full scoop.

In a last look, I can say this much. The writers have definitely created a final catalyst to both wrap up the story and develop a very new plot crisis that can permit some very creative narrative efforts. Couple that with the fact they placed a dead end on the show (3 more seasons), and we're left with a recipe for a grand conclusion. (Remember your mantra Matt) I will not get my hopes up, but I will give the premier a shot, come January. If the writers move forward with gutsy and progressive writing. If they break past formulas, and find a proper balance again with plot progression and compelling character development, we might just have a winning show again. Only time will tell, however. Let's make sure we don't press the execute key and begin the cycle again.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...
You sir are a very smart man. Just what I needed after watching those two hours of mind-rape...

Blogger WaxPatriot said...
It's all elementary, my dear Watson