6.03.2007
Better than Hex?

I finally got my cable setup at the new apartment, probably a mistake in the long run considering I need every bit of encouragement to wander outdoors into the Seattle streets for exploration. Nonetheless, I have it, along with a brand spanking new HD LCD TV and HD DVR.

To test run the DVR and ensure I have all the wonderful and expected options, I stumbled upon a marathon running on BBC America. The show: Hex. I decided what better to test my DVRing skills than a complete marathon. Little did I know that I'd end up spending the better part of the day wrapped up in the supernatural mellow drama.

Okay, so it's nothing phenomonal. I mean, it is, essentially, a British rip off of the campy small network show Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Regardless, whether it was the British charm or the anti-episodic story arch plot, the show is incredibly entertaining. Don't get me wrong, it's B-fluff, but fluff done right, like a really good Frank Miller graphic novel or an engaging Joss Whedon space opera (oh Firefly, how do I miss thee).

The story takes place in the modern English countryside amidst ancient castles and humble farms, and without giving too much away, it involves a group of fallen angels trying to bring about the false messiah, fathered by one such fallen by the name of Azazel (a real character in Jewish mythology...an added bonus in my mind). The team of protagonists include 2 witches (falsely titled in my opinion) one of which is an "Annointed One" whose duty it is to weed out and destroy the fallen agents of darkness. To help the witches not witches is the standard clan of teenage ignorants oh, and also a lesbian ghost (long story). To top it off, there's a big focus on the nephilim legends spawned from Genesis 6, an intriguing subject in and of itself.

Be warned, however, the show is surprisingly vulgar. Though some verbiage is edited out, they leave quite a bit in. Also some of the character interactions involve a rather sordid mix of sexual escapades, all of which are capitalized upon for the sake of ratings, I'm sure. Still, the show holds a great deal of intrigue. Despite the inconsistencies with true and sound nephelim mythology (and I use that word loosely), the writers are relatively gutsy in where they take the story, and I'm anxious to see where they take it next. The acting's hit or miss, though there's been some great surprises by the female leads (it might just be the British accents). The overall composition becomes something that takes the entertaining campiness of old and mixes it with some unique narratives and compelling paths of plot.

The show just began its second season last night on BBC America. Check your local listings for schedule lineups. I think it's pretty much every Saturday. If you're a fan of Buffy (which I'm not) or you just love creative supernatural fiction, than I highly recommend the series. Just always remember to practice safe Hex (wow...that was sappy).

Labels: , , , , ,